Gingerbread Cookies!

Friday, December 4, 2015

 
Happy National Cookie Day! What a glorious day this is! I love all kinds of cookies, but this time of year my favorite is definitely gingerbread.
 
This year I tried out a new recipe. It does not require any chill time (yay!) and the dough holds it's shape while baking. I mean what is better than that? Let's get started...
 
 
You'll need to gather your ingredients, I've listed the recipe at the bottom. Mix your flour, salt, and spices and set aside.

 
In your mixer, cream together your butter and brown sugar. Add the egg and mix until incorporated. Add the molasses (my favorite part of these cookies - I love the way it smells!!), and vanilla. Slowly mix in your flour until it is all mixed in.

 
Lay out some wax paper and spread some flour on it. This will be your work area to roll out your dough.

 
I like to work in small chunks of the dough instead of all at once. I personally think it makes it easier, but you do what is best for you!

 
Roll your dough out to about 1/4 of an inch.

 
Now for the fun part - cutting out your cookies!!



 
Then gather up your scraps and roll them back out and cut some more.

 
I also like to make some plain ole round ones. I wanted bite size and didn't have a cookie cutter small enough so I improvised with the top of a shot glass. This will work with any glass you have.


 
I failed to get a picture making the icing - I was too excited!! But I've got the recipe for you at the bottom.
 
 
Decorating the cookies are my favorite part. Get creative! You can also add food coloring to the icing if you want different colors.

 
See my SHE cookie for the blog?

 
I hope you make these and love them as much as I do!
 
Recipe
 
Cookies
3 Cups All-Purpose Flour
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
1 Tablespoon Ground Ginger
2 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
1/4 Teaspoon Ground Cloves
6 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter, Room Temperature
3/4 Cup Dark Brown Sugar
1 Large Egg
1/2 Cup Molasses
2 Teaspoons Vanilla
 
1. Preheat oven to 375 F.
2. Whisk the flour, salt, and spices together in a bowl. Set aside.
3. In your mixer's bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until they've just come together. You don't want it too fluffy.
4. Add the egg and mix.
5. Add the molasses and vanilla. Mix until incorporated.
6. Slowly mix in the flour mixture until your dough forms.
7. Roll out on a lightly floured surface until your dough is about 1/4 inch thick. Bake for 8-9 minutes. (I would start checking after five minutes. My round ones were perfect after five. The gingerbread men were too dry after eight minutes so next time I'll do six or seven. It all depends on your oven.)
8. If you're not immediately making the cookies, wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate (or freeze) until you are ready. Before using, make sure the dough is room temperature.
 
Icing
1 Cup Confectioners Sugar
2 Teaspoons Milk
2 Teaspoons Corn Syrup
1/4 Teaspoon Almond Extract
Food Coloring (optional)
 
1. Add confectioners sugar to a mixing bowl and with a wire whisk start mixing on low.
2. Add the milk, corn syrup, and almond extract and whip until smooth.
3. Add more corn syrup if it is too thick to use, but be careful not to add too much or it will run right off the cookie.
(you may need to double the recipe, so make sure you have enough of the ingredients in your kitchen!)


xo Courtney

Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© SHE Degree. Design by FCD.